Grand Moving

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:10:23 EST

<<  List:

  Would appreciate any suggestions on the moving of a grand. We have the
 dollie and the

  piano skid. We have moved verticals before but never a grand. What steps
 would you

  take to get it on the dollie/skid safely.

  Thanks in advance.

  Arthur >>

Moving a grand piano on a skid board is actually easier than moving a vertical
piano.
To put the grand on the skid board, remove the lyre, and loosen the bass end
leg. Pick up the bass end and have someone remove the leg, then lower the bass
end corner of the piano onto the skid board. Then tip the rest of the piano
onto the skid board. After you have straighten it out, put on some blankets,
and strap it down. Pick up the tail end of the piano and put the dolly under
the skid. From there you're on your own as far as putting on a truck or
trailer or moving into the new location.

To put the piano back on its own legs, reverse the above procedure. The
hardest part will be picking up the bass end of the piano to put on the third
leg. For this you do need a strong back.  Some movers put the lyre on the
piano before tipping the piano on the two legs. If you put a folded up blanket
under the lyre, the piano will tilt high enough for you to put the third leg
on without having to hold it up. I never do this, though, because I would
rather strain my back a little than repair a crushed lyre.

Willem Blees