Soft the hammer

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 13:27:57 -0600

Hi Baoli,
            If your needles are almost getting stuck in the felt, it is a
sign that the hammers have been hardened with key top and acetone. I use a
proccss that I call 'wet needling'
liberally wet the hammer with acetone, use an eye dropper and apply the
acetone directly to the strike point untill the whole hammer is wet, deep
needle with 3 needles 1/8" from the strike point, the needles should be
directed to the tip of the molding and inserted about 1/2". Wait 30 min for
the acetone to dry and test the tone quality again, if too bright keep
flushing  the hammer with acetone, untill you get the desired result. This
is very time consuming job, and there is not a fast fix. I have used as
much as a third of a pint of acetone, and have ended up with white stains
from the key top material at the bass of the molding.
  If you still have an obnoxious percussion attack, some needling will be
needed at the strike point.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 07:28 PM 15/11/98 +0800, you wrote:
>After filing the hammers of a Steinway grand piano,I found the sound became
>too brilliant.But I feel difficult to needle the hammers because they are
>too hard.
>Is there any better method to soft the hammers?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Baoli Liu
>Shenyang Conservatory of Music
>China