Winter Console Hammer Delima

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:56:18 -0500

Since there are several loose hammer felts, remove one from the rail
and use thick CA and vise-grips to hold the felt. Sometimes a lot of
pressure is needed to hold the felt back in place until the glue dries.

Dry clamp it first to ascertain the proper vise-grip setting allowing
sufficient
pressure without sliding off the taper. Then glue and use accelerator.
Let that sit while you unscrew the next hammer flange; by that time the
first one should be set. Glue the second hammer and clamp. Install the first
hammer and remove the third while the second one dries. . .   get the picture?

Inspect the felt on the others and glue down any that are starting to lift.

The only other solution is to replace the entire set.

Jon Page
At 08:28 PM 11/14/98 EST, you wrote:
>I was tuning a Winter & Co. Console for a new customer today, and noticed
that
>the felt on three or four hammers in a row was coming unglued... it's like
>someone took a knife and and started seperating the wood from the felt at the
>top of the hammer. It doesn't quite go straight through, but it hinders the
>sound.  Should I glue back the felt or replace the hammer heads completely??
>
>Thanks,
>Jonathan Hoover

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)