Report on State University

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 23:26:31 -0500 (EST)

>Hi Chris,
>              I Believe the design of this Instrument was Harold Conklin's
>last project with Baldwin. Some unusual features, is steel strings into the
>bass bridge, and a tone extender weight at the end of the tenor bridge, to
>help stabilize znd smooth out the bass/tenor transition, extra mass added
>to the wippen forward of the of the capstan, to assist repitition, and
>duplex scaling to increase the tonal pallet, quad dampers in the bass for
>reduction of after ring.
> Just some comments for clarification.
>Regards Roger
>

>>head of tech service at baldwin back when that piano was designed.  i
>>belive the model number is 6000.  i love them.  great bass, nice action...
>>pity about the price.  i don't see many of them since my days at baldwin,
>>cincinnati, though.  i am trying to talk a local church into buying one
>>instead of some cheapo grand.
>>
>>chris
>>
>>-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH
>>
>>-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429
>>
>Roger Jolly
>Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
>Saskatoon and Regina
>Saskatchewan, Canada.
>306-665-0213
>Fax 652-0505

roger,

yes, now that you mention harold's name, i am sure you are right.  i was
refering only to the indentation in the plate behind the strings.  i had
heard it called "krefting's valley" and when i worked for jack several
years ago i asked him if it was true.  he said yes, that when harold was
designing it he asked jack if he had any suggestions.  he did make the
suggestion of the indentation and at the break there is a bump made to
wedge a rubber mute against the last string.  i guess everyone there
thought it looked kind of funny and gave it the nickname.  isn't that
right, del?  the only weird thing about the indentation is that it does not
go all the way up to the tenor/treble break.  you still end up wrestling
with the last two unisons.  i guess they figured that  there was not enough
room to get a strip in there and avoid the hammers.

thanks for reminding me of the other original specs roger.  they really are
nice pianos to work on.