Hitch Pin Understringing Felt

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:34:11 EST

<< The last two pianos I've restrung had understringing felt that covered the
 entire hitch area.  Basically it was a strip of felt over the hitches with
 holes punched in the felt to neatly allow the pins to poke through.  I
 tried a paper punch, but the holes were a little big and the exact location
 of the hole was difficult to make.  Any other ways to duplicate this
 method?  A leather punch with smaller punch sizes?  Doing a template?  The
 old felt was really shot and partially eaten.  Thanks.
 Lance Lafargue, RPT >>

I use a paper punch, and the holes are the right size. You can use a leather
punch, but unless the punch is very sharp, it will be difficult to go through
felt. Try going to an Office Max, or similar, and see if you get a paper punch
that will make smaller holes.

Willem Blees