Broken Key

antares@EURONET.NL antares@EURONET.NL
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:26:20 +0100

>I have a client who owns an 18 year old Ivers And Pond upright  that has a
>broken key. It is broken at the balance rail hole and has been repaired by
>another person. This person glued the parts back together and glued/nailed a
>portion of white plastic keytop along one side of the key as a reinforcement.
>This "reinforcement" has cracked under the strain of playing and I am left
>with the repair job. The question is, would Weldbond be the better glue choice
>for the repair? And would a piece of ivory keytop (of which I have some) serve
>as an adequte reinforcement or would it be better to use thin veneer. This is
>an instrument that is in rather poor condition but it's all the family has and
>can afford.
>
>Thanks,
>Ralph Black
>Nashville

Usually, you can do a very good and very quick job by preparing two pieces
of rather sturdy carton. cut them out with a pair of scissors or a knive.
Put fast drying glue on them and also on the two key halves.
Put also glue on the actual cracked parts.
Glue the carton pieces on both sides of the broken key.
Let dry for a short time.
Cut away neatly the remains of the carton not in contact with the key.

I have used this method many times over, since it is something which happens
quite often.
On the other hand, it would be better to use fineer instead of carton, but
who carries fineer in his tool kit?
A personal business card comes in very handy instead.

What do you say?

André Oorebeek