Broken Key

RalphBl@AOL.COM RalphBl@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:06:12 EST

I have a client who owns an 18 year old Ivers And Pond upright  that has a
broken key. It is broken at the balance rail hole and has been repaired by
another person. This person glued the parts back together and glued/nailed a
portion of white plastic keytop along one side of the key as a reinforcement.
This "reinforcement" has cracked under the strain of playing and I am left
with the repair job. The question is, would Weldbond be the better glue choice
for the repair? And would a piece of ivory keytop (of which I have some) serve
as an adequte reinforcement or would it be better to use thin veneer. This is
an instrument that is in rather poor condition but it's all the family has and
can afford.

Thanks,
Ralph Black
Nashville