Hitch Pin Understringing Felt

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:17:52 -0500

Lance,
Carbon paper (remember that stuff?) placed carbon side up on top
of the hitch pins. Place your strip of felt on the paper. Push on the pins
so as to mark the bottom side of the cloth with the carbon.

Use a multi-punch, plier type punch to make the holes just a bit smaller
than the pin, fit over pins and proceed with marking for trimming.

I have done a few of these and found it best to trim only the front side
which will be under the strings. The rear side is trimmed after the piano is
strung and tension is up on the strings to compensate for the wires
tugging on the felt, even if it has been glued down.

It takes up a good portion of felt; and don't use pressed, name board type;
bushing cloth only. Otherwise rust will form on the strings at the felt.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)