Hazard of Accutuner ( Have I ruined my new bass strings ?)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:47:21 EST

<< My concern is that by overpulling the strings to this degree I have
 damaged them . I have been told that one should avoid too much overpull on
the
 bass strings because it can loosen the windings. If a small degree of
overpull
 done in connection with a pitch raise can be harmful , what would a full step
 overpull do . The strings sound O.K. now but could there be damage that may
 show up later?   Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.
                               Russell Schmidt   R.P.T.    Lexington, KY. >>

Two half steps might be a little drastic, but I don't believe you caused
damage to the strings. I have pulled on the wrong tuning pin, only to find the
string  I had been tuning wound out to be a whole note higher. Since you
didn't leave the string where they were, it should be alright. In fact, now
that you've taken out the stretch, they will  probably stay in tune sooner.

Willem Blees