Hazard of Accutuner ( Have I ruined my new bass strings ?)

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:55:08 -0500

>        Recently I replaced the bass strings on a small grand . I used my
>accutuner to tune them starting on the lowest bass note. The accutuner showed
>the note to be in tune and I continued up thru the rest of the bass using both
>the machine and my ear to guide me thru this rough tuning. When I got to the
>end of the wound strings I played a few chords and found I had tuned all the
>wound strings two half steps sharp!  The accutuner must have caught onto a
>higher partial that stoped the lights and I continued this error all the way

>                              Russell Schmidt   R.P.T.    Lexington, KY.
Don't blame the Tool!! Next time get the strings on and then tune down
chromacticly from the plain wires. I'm sure you'll find that's alot safer.
I doubt that you've *ruined* the set of strings, but you should be ready to
replace the set if they develop false beats or any break. If this "small
grand" is a Steinway S, or if you've rescaled the piano and are expecting
really good bass tone, replace the set now and you won't have sleepless
nights.
Patrick