Report on State University

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:11:25 -0500 (EST)

‡
>Most of the ones I have worked on so far are fairly new Baldwin "Concert
>Vertical" pianos. They seem to have been designed with the piano tuner in
>mind - plate is molded nicely for a felt strip mute. Kent, did you have a
>few words to say in the design of that one?

wallace,

welcome back.  the indentation in the plate behind the strings you are
refering to is called "krefting's valley" after jack krefting who was the
head of tech service at baldwin back when that piano was designed.  i
belive the model number is 6000.  i love them.  great bass, nice action...
pity about the price.  i don't see many of them since my days at baldwin,
cincinnati, though.  i am trying to talk a local church into buying one
instead of some cheapo grand.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429