"Hammer Technique"

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:40:55 -0700

Kenneth W. Burton wrote:

>         Tom,
>
>         Please pardon me if I am trying to tell you something you already
> know. I have found pianos that were virtually untunable using the "jerk"
> method (my usual approach.) I found that I had to change to The Smooth
> Pull technique and then the unisons began to settle right in.

Ken,

My first reaction to using the smooth pull technique is that the pitch
would be even less likely to follow the twisting of the tuning pin
whereas the jerk technique would be more likely to break the excessive
friction of the bearing points. I know this is just my theory and I
haven't tried anything per your suggestion. I have opinions about Smooth
Pull based on my early experiences with learning tuning (trying to get
it perfect, closer, closer, really close, oooh! I went too far). That
is, I don't have as much control with a continuous pull whereas a series
of jerks gives me a chance to stop just at the right moment. (I also get
a much better feel of the pin.)

That said, I'm willing to try out what you're saying. Have you had any
experience lubing the bearing points? I really think this has some good
potential inasmuch as it enables you to tune normally and get stability.
The only downside I can see would be in using lubricants near the tuning
pins. So, no silicone or Slick 50.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT