Sensitive songwriter

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:47:38 EST

In a message dated 11/9/98 6:06:25 PM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<<  I may be better off just having the entire keyboard recovered to spec.
 and am open to suggestions for the highest quality work available.  I don't
 see myself doing all this if a key recovering service can do a really slick
 job.  Who has been turning out top-drawer work?
 Thanks,
 Ed Foote  >>

I highly recommend the Shuler Co. in Lexington, KY.  Tell the proprietor, Phil
de Hahn what the concerns are.  He will get the right material and do the job
to your specs.

The address is:

2400 Tulsa Dr.
Lexington, KY  40503

Telephone:  606-277-3311

Also, if the keys themselves are eroded, and your customer's pockets are deep,
your best bet is what Cyrillus recommended, to replace the whole set of keys
entirely.

In my opinion, anytime a piano is being very completely rebuilt, including the
soundboard and the pinblock, it makes sense to replace the keys themselves
along with the action parts, including the damper underlevers.

A brand new set of keys is a sure way to please this customer.  If you compare
it to the cost of good keytop replacement, rebushing, pinhole sizing and/or
repair and new damper lifter felts, the relatively small amount that he will
be paying extra will be more than worth it.

I work with a local rebuilder who often replaces the keys.  It really makes
the difference between a piano that is obviously rebuilt and one that seems so
much like a brand new one.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin