"Hammer Technique"

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:38:48 -0700

Paul McCloud wrote:

> The friction of the
> string over the bearing points also helps keep the string stable, but if
> the friction  is too much, the string pitch won't follow the tuning
> pin.

This is a situation that presented itself to me today and I'd like to
offer a solution. A Yamaha grand that had too much tuning pin segment
friction in the upper tenor: you nudge it sharp once, twice, thrice...
the tuning doesn't change and then suddenly you're too sharp. Bring it
down and the same overshoot happens. If you do finally get the string in
tune, it won't hold because the pin and string are not properly settled.

The trick, which I learned on this list, is to lubricate the bearing
points, especially if there's significant contact with the understring
felt. I used Protek Prolube which worked perfectly, for now (time will
tell - I'll be checking on it periodically). If anyone has other ideas
for lubes, I'd be glad to hear about them.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA