Yamaha Method of Damper Regulating

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:12:13 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Why can't I simply raise or lower the pedal rod head or
> shim/remove material until I have a sample hammer lifting at
> approximately 1/2 blow distance, if that is what I'm after.
> Then pull action, loosen screws, assure dampers are securely
> resting on the strings and free in the top flange, tighten and
> adjust for twisting heads etc?  Why all the mumbo jumbo?  I
> remember this from the Little Red Schoolhouse and it seemed
> overly complex.

David,

The gauge is to make sure that you're at the half blow point. If you're
good at estimating half blow, then you're cool - you can skip that part.
Yamaha is into precision so they use a gauge. Even doing it the Yamaha
way is not that much more work, though. As I said, the explanation
sounds a _little_ complicated but once understood, the elimination of
guesswork is a plus. If I had invented the method, I might have glued
together a stack of front rail punchings to stop the key at the half
blow point. Whatever works.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT