Bob Bergantino, forcing pitch!

Ricard de La Rosa ricard@propiano.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:21:32 -0500

Dear Bob:

I will bow out after this final word on the subject of trying to "force" a PITCH
CHANGE without actually doing the procedure properly..."by the book".

It is not that a person cannot "physically" do the job....as you said, we have all
done it...countless times.

The problem is that the piano will not "physically allow the results to stand."

One of course realizes that at fork A, 1 cycle per second is approximately 4
cents....hardly anything in reality.  Yet to try to force that 4 cents (1 cycle)
on the piano just simply implies poor piano technical judgement.  The results are
not musical.  Yet the results can pass when observed with very casual
subjectivity.

I am finished with this subject, but am happy it has encouraged such lively
debate.

Love to all who responded and who enjoy the interchange,

Ricard de La Rosa
PRO PIANO