Sensitive songwriter

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:31:02 EST

Greetings,
  Well, after all this time, I had a new complaint today.   A customer had
purchased a moderately well rebuilt Steinway in Florida and brought it up here
to Nashville.
   Today, he pointed out a feature of the piano he can no longer stand, and
wants me to correct it.  It seems that the rebuilders used molded plastic
keytops and non-Steinway sharps to cover the keyboard.  The sharps are too
short, and the gap at the back of them is bothersome to him. Anybody know
where I can get sharps that are 3 7/8" long?
    Also, when a natural note is depressed, the letter name of that note is
visible at the very back end of the key, ( as it sits under the fall board
felt!!!)  He can no longer compose at the keyboard with this distraction, and
wants it changed. ( I do indulge these people, this writer's last hit record
was worth over  $1.5 million to him, so I take his idiosyncrosies seriously).
I can buff them off, but the other consideration is that the very slight
overhang that these slightly wider keytops have over the sides of the keys is
also driving him crazy, ( though I think it is more of a short putt than a
    I may be better off just having the entire keyboard recovered to spec.
and am open to suggestions for the highest quality work available.  I don't
see myself doing all this if a key recovering service can do a really slick
job.  Who has been turning out top-drawer work?
Thanks,
Ed Foote