Thick Rubber Piano Feet

Ricard de La Rosa ricard@propiano.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 07:45:16 -0500

Dear James:

As you probably know, in the major metropolitan centers, grand pianos and
neighbors who do not particularly appreciate piano music, pose  a problem.
Pianos are unwelcome in many apartment buildings.

In New York, we have a type of very thick rubber insulater that one uses to
replace the casters on grand pianos.  The supposed purpose is to prevent the
sound from running through the legs into the floor and down into the apartment
below.  (We also insulate the bottoms of the soundboard area ...between the
struts and everyplace else, with 6" foam rubber...and other bizarre things).

Do you have or make this type of rubber block?  There is a commercial outfit
that manufactures such caster replacements, but we have lost track of them.
Nowadays, we simply buy big heavy sheets of 2" rubber and cut them to shape,
laminating whatever widths are required to duplicate the caster height.

If you alrady make such a contraption, it would be handy.

Thank you,

Ricard de La RosA
PRO PIANO