new/old soundboard wood

Doug Oliver, Associate Member daoliver@cyberportal.net
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 07:59:17 -0500

Date sent:      	Sun, 08 Nov 1998 01:57:07 +0000
From:           	JOSEP PUIG <jpuig@idgrup.ibernet.com>
To:             	list <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject:        	new/old soundboard wood
Send reply to:  	pianotech@ptg.org

> List,
> I am a piano rebuilder in Barcelona/Spain who's been doing this job for
> over the last 20 years, but only recently (2 years ago) I have
> undertaken the task of soundboard replacing. Now I have a complete
> installation: pneumatic rib press and everything to do this task
> properly.
>
> The question is: why is it better to replace the whole soundboard with
> new wood rather than carefully withdraw the old one, unglue the ribs and
> bridges and next re-dry the sb. and reglue everything into place?
>
> Many customers ask me what I have left of the "Steinway" if I have
> replaced everything. (I had this question also before  when I simply
> replaced a set of hammers!) I must admit now that this question makes
> more sense to me, since if I replace completely the sb. of a Steiway it
> is no longer a Steinway, although it was clearly needing it.
> I use to answer that: what's left of a 80 years old Steinway precisely
> after 80 years off the factory?...
>
> Well, what I would like to know is if there is any known structural
> changes on wood during time, I mean if there are significant differences
> between new vs. old wood in, for instance, capacity of moisture holding
> or absorption, vibrational behavior, strength, irreversible deformities,
> etc. Where can I find such information?
>
> By now, I do prefer to recrown the old sounboard (although ungluing it
> without damage is like a nightmare) but I wish to know your opinions.
>
> Thank You
>
> Josep Puig

Josep...

Though in no way can my feeble knowledge compare with your
years of experience, I may have something to offer.  I have done
some reading on qualities of old wood, specifically in reference to
violin making.  As you know, old, seasoned violins are far more
valuable than new ones, in part due to the fact that the tonal quality
is enhanced by the wood's age.  I have read that this quality
difference happens on the cellular level with wood, in that the
"protoplasm" and "cytoplasm" in the cells turns more resinous with
age, and therefore conducts vibrations from nearby strings and
through the bridge more efficiently.

Personally, I have never heard of removing a soundboard and
replacing the original soundboard back in any piano... but if it can
be done... WHAT A GREAT CONCEPT!

Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck... Let me know if you do it and how it works out for you!

Doug
Oliver's Twist Piano Service
Douglas A. Oliver, Technician
133 Vista Heights