more on Hertz

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:06:50 -0600

>Heinrich Rudolf Hertz was a German physicist who was the first to produce
>radio
>waves artificially.  He lived from 1857 to 1894.  His nephew was
>instrumental in
>developing the atom bomb for the Russians.  I don't remember the exact
>date when
>he was honored by calling cycles per second (cps) Hertz, or Hz.  I think
>it was
>during the mid- to late- sixties.
>
>Del

hertz

{hurts}  The hertz (Hz) is a unit of frequency, suggested in 1935 to honor
Heinrich Rudolph HERTZ and now in common use. It is equal to one cycle per
second. High frequencies are called kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), and
gigahertz (GHz).

Copyright 1995 by Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc.
===========================
Hertz, Gustav

{hairts}

The German physicist Gustav Ludwig Hertz, b. July 22, 1887, d. Oct. 30,
1975, is known for his contributions to QUANTUM MECHANICS. A nephew of
Heinrich Hertz, he obtained his doctorate at Berlin in 1911. He became an
assistant at the physics institute there in 1913 and began his
collaboration with James FRANCK which led to the discovery of quantized
energy transfer in inelastic collisions between electrons and atoms. For
this work they were awarded the Nobel Prize for physics in 1925. Because of
his Jewish descent Hertz was forced to resign a university post in 1934,
but he remained in Germany throughout World War II, working for the firm of
Siemens. In 1945 he was taken to the USSR to direct a research laboratory.

John G. May

Copyright 1995 by Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc.