PVCE glue on keytops

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Sat, 07 Nov 1998 14:32:07 -0800

Steven Lewis wrote:

> Spray some WD-40 on a cloth and wipe the keytop with it, then clean the
> wd-40 off with windex.  You'll be amazed at how well that works.
>
> Steven Lewis
> Ft. Worth, TX
>
> Andrew V Kozlowski wrote:
>
> >  I replaced a set of key tops on a piano I own using PVCE glue. I
> > thought I had cleanedthem pretty good. About 2 weeks later I'm seeing
> > dust settle on the residue from the glueI had sloppily left on them.

The WD-40 may work, but if it does, the action is mechanical, working on
the bond between the glue and the keytop, not on the glue itself.  PVC-E
(polyvinyl chloride emulsion) glue is a water-miscible emulsion that
polymerizes as it cures: you can't take it apart again. After it has set
it is only soluble in some horrendous things (cyclohexanone, ,
nitrobenzene, tetrahydrofuran to name a few).  Lower molecular weight
polymers are sometimes soluble in methylene chloride (very carcinogenic)
or methyl ethyl ketone.  The problem with these solvents is they also
dissolve acetate keytops.

The good news is that the PVC-E should just rub off the polished surface
of the acetate.  Try using a hard rubber pencil eraser.  The residue
should just roll up and come off.  I must admit I have never left it for
a couple of weeks, but the next day it is not at all difficult to remove
by rubbing it with a fingertip.  (If you are not a guitar player, this
may give you a blister if you do very many).

How did you end up with glue on the keytops?  I apply the glue only to
the keystick, with a 1/2" round sable paintbrush.  I don't get it on my
hands, and if I do, I wash them right away.

Another mechanical method that works well for me to remove small
blemishes from plastic keytops is fine auto polishing compound on a soft
cloth.  Just dip the tip of your finger, wrapped in cloth, in the cpd,
and give it a rub.  Also works fine for removing minor scratches quickly.

Tim Keenan
Noteworthy Piano Service
Terrace, BC