Key weighting

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:46:17 -0600

Hi Ted,
            A couple of things to check before going to the trouble of
weighting off. What is the condition of the key bushings and B/R holes? If
badly worn and chucking you will be wasting yor time. Are the action centre
pins quite loose? this with the above will make the action feel very light.
 If all is well, weght off can improve the performance quite a bit,
particularly on ppp playing, I have done this on a number of new Baldwin
6000's
with great results.
Regards roger

At 05:31 AM 05/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>  I received a call from a regular customer of mine who owns an Everett
>studio upright and wants me to add weights to the keys to make the touch
>firmer.  She has just switched to a new piano teacher who owns a grand and
>the touch is so much heavier than her piano.  Her piano teacher had weights
>added to her piano when she was young and in the learning phase.
>   I told her that it's possible that her teacher's piano has a heavier
>touch because it is out of regulation.  Anyhow, I stopped by the customer's
>place to do a touchweight measurement and sure enough, the touch on her
>piano was pretty light.  The downweight was 40 grams and the upweight was
>OK at 25 grams.  Now, I need to know if anyone has done this to an upright
>before and how should I go about giving her piano a heavier touch.  I feel
>that just attaching lead weights to the back of the key would make the
>piano uncontrollable,  much like a seesaw with a light person on one end
>and a heavy person on the other end.  I have tuned this customer's piano
>for the past 10 years and want to keep her.  Any suggestions will be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Ted Simmons
>Merritt Island, FL

Roger Jolly