Libretto/RCT Review

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 00:16:01 EST

Hi all;

Since I have had a few folks ask for a critique of the Libretto/RCT
combination, I will do just that.

Anyone not familiar with the Toshiba Libretto 100, it is from what I read, the
smallest production, real life, full fledged computer on the maket. It
measures about 8" X 4.5" X 1.5" The signifcance for those on this list is that
this laptop is the answer to one of the biggest arguments many have against
the use of the RCT software. That is the cumbersome nature of the standard
size laptops, especially as to where to place the laptop on vertical pianos. I
realize that many tuners have come to terms with the standard size laptops and
have found suitable solutions that work for them. Myself, having previously
used an SAT, I wanted something small enough to sit anywhere that the SAT
would. The Libretto will. It has a 166 mghz MMX processor, 2.1 gig hard drive,
external floppy drive, 32 megs of memory. It's screen measures 7.1 inches but
is very sharp and bright.

Which leads to the big question. Is it hard to read a screen that small? First
of all, we should take into account that the answer may be different for
different people due to variations in visual accuity from one set of eyeballs
to the next. For myself, I'm 46, and am near-sighted. With glasses, my vision
is 20/20. Inside of a distance of two feet or so, things start to get blurry.
If I take off my glasses for close-up work, I'm back to 20/20. (Boy, it's hell
getting old). Anyway, my accessment of the screen is based on this viewpoint.

I used the Libretto and RCT for the first time today, tuning 4 pianos. I was a
bit apprehensive using it in the field having just installed the software the
night before and skimming thru the manual.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy the RCT was to use. Not to mention deadly
accurate. Not to mention downright fun.

 As for the Libretto, the only thing I needed to take my glasses off to read
was the text of the tuning library or to edit a tuning record. As far as the
cyber ear used during tuning, I had no trouble reading anything on the screen
that is relevant to the tuning process, even with the laptop sitting clear
across the piano. It does have a nifty feature, a magnifier window that you
can open and place over any area of the screen you like and magnifies the area
within about 5 times.

 All the features appear razor sharp and bright. The internal mike is
sensitive and worked well. All the pianos I tuned today were verticals and the
computer sat very nicely on the top, in fact better than an SAT, which has a
jack coming out the back that gets in the way of the piano lid.

Now for the biggest drawback. A computer that small has got to have a small
keyboard, too small for touch typing. If you are counting on the Libretto to
double as an all 'round computer to use for word processing and such, I'm not
sure you would be happy with this one. But as a dedicated tuning machine, I
think it is the ideal RCT solution.

One other minor complaint. Since the screen is a bit more of a rectangle that
larger laptops, the cyber ear screen is cut off right below the keyboard
graphic. The good news is that the only thing missing is the name of a tuning
record chosen from the library. If I forget what it is, I'll just look at the
piano in front of me.

The battery advertised as standard equipment is supposed to last 2 hours. For
some reason, mine arrived with the super deluxe battery which which will run
for 4.5 hours, which will get me thru most days without having to find an
outlet. But hey, if theres an outlet right there, it's no big deal to just
plug it in. It's nice to know that I don't have to though.

I purchased the Libretto from pcsave.com for about $1385.00 by e-mail and
received the computer the next day.

The Libretto sits in the same case that I used for the SAT, and I can say at
this point I am very happy with the combination, and I'm looking forward to
getting out and tuning tomorrow.

Dave Bunch