Drop-action grommets

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 16:36:33 -0500

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> << Is it possible to install drop-action grommets without removing
>  lost-motion adjustment nuts?  I could slice the grommets, but I'm not
>  sure they would stay on.
>
>  The adjustment nuts are captive nuts, not really that bad, just a
>  thought.
>  --
>
>  Frank Cahill >>
>
> I never thought about slicing the grommets, but I think that would not work,
> since the grommets do get a lot of use, and they might open up, especially
> during warm weather.
>
> I would recommend you remove the nut. I have found that a the tip of your
> tuning hammer fits on the nut. Schaff makes a tuning tip that can be attached
> to a ratchet. Hardware stores sell a quarter inch adapter that will accept the
> tuning tip, and can be used with power a screwdriver. This will make the job a
> lot easier.
>
> Willem Blees

I must be on drugs or just plain stupid. After replacing the bottom
third of the grommets the hard way, I noticed that the drop-wire can be
removed from the whippen. It's a hamilton spinet.

I pulled the wires from the whip, slipped off the felt bushing, pushed
on a new grommet, reinstalled the felt bushing, and replaced the wire in
the whip. Took about 30 or 40 minutes.

Why can't I see the obvious?

I like your idea about a power screwdriver.  I've never had to replace a
set of grommet before, but I bet I will again.

Thanks William!!!
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member