wood filler

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:08:41 EST

In a message dated 11/2/98 12:15:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

>    Any thoughts as to the efficacy of using wall joint compound in this
>  manner?

Jim,
Very creative. WARNING: what follows is based on fuzzy memory and is just
designed to get someone more knowledgable out of the "woodwork": I think paste
wood fillers usually contain some kind of binder as well as the powdered
filler material. There are old formulae which include boiled linseed oil,
etc., making a kind of sludgy varnish. Gypsum is a calcium sulfate, and
related to Plaster of Paris. The old finishers used both, I think, and maybe
calcium carbonate (chalk). I don't remember if they always used a binder, but
one of the old finishing books might say, or maybe Stephen Birkett uses old
processes and remembers.
Bob Davis