Removing grand plate

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 03:22:13 EST

Someone wrote;

<< Use three cloth type moving straps with  lock type buckles.  It normally
takes two or three lift attempts to adjust the length of the straps to get an
even lift, so that the plate goes
straight up. >>

Another suggestion;

Buy a set of motorcycle tie down straps, with cam actuated "locks". These
allow for pulling the nylon strap through in one direction, and restrains it
from pulling back the other way. They adjust in a second, have a breaking
strength of 800 pounds each, come with a hook on both ends, and a set will
cost under $20.00  ( I bought 6 for $16.00 at Home Depot.) They have a tiny
bit of stretch, which is very helpful in determining which strap needs to be
adjusted. If the hook on the plate end isn't what you need, hook it into a
loop of flat nylon strapping which is tied around the proper location on the
plate.

<<I can purchase a 3 ton chain hoist (overdone perhaps, )>>

Certainly overdone. I have one, and the biggest liability  is how deep (how
far the hoist itself hangs down from the beam) it is.  To use one you better
have a beam ten foot off the ground. My three ton uses almost three feet of
that before the hook starts. A three ton can lift 6000 pounds, the heaviest
plate would be less than a tenth of that. I would suggest a one ton, giving a
good safety margin, less deep, and less expensive. ( I bought a $99.00  three
ton hoist from Harbor Freight, Chinese made, - not as good as an American
hoist of the same capacity, but about $300.00 cheaper. The one ton sells for
under $50.00, I think.)

That said, I prefer to use a small boat winch mounted on a wall with the cable
going through pulleys. You can winch with one hand and keep a hand on the
plate with the other. Handy in a one man shop. It also prevents damage from
the hanging chain, and oil droplets and oily dirt from the hoist from falling
on the soundboard.

Bill Simon
Phoenix