wood filler

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:07:08 -0500

At 06:33 PM 11/2/98 EST, you wrote:
> I used Behlens "Master" series, dye stain, I believe it is thinner based.
>
><<"<<whether the joint compound as a wood filler needs additional coats
>of finish to protect it from damage (as I don' t think it dries as hard
>as other wood fillers)">>
>
>  Well I only used it to fill grain and not to fill any "holes/gouges" so I
>don't think that strength is a consideration...I could be wrong though.
>Perhaps it might be subject to 'bumping' out if the finish is struck
>hard....I'll try that and let y'all know.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Go to the source, Mohawk (they make Behlin products)

However, Mohawk's Paste Wood Filler is as hard as a rock and a real bear to
sand.
Famowood makes a more user friendly product, I've only found it available thru
Woodworker's Supply and the 'neutral' has been on b/o for two weeks.  I mix in
a  w/b stain and retarder which is compatible with the finish I am spraying.

As for stain, Mohawk's Ultra Penetrating    methanol based.   Buy it by the
gallon.

They also make what they call  'classic instrument lacquer'.

Call  Debra Vrooman, sales rep.    1-888-366-4295
give her my name, you'll get a good seat.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)