Heavy action

antares@EURONET.NL antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 01 Nov 1998 10:51:10 +0100

Roger,
I am always very interested in learning all possible ways of eliminating
hammer weight.
The best way I have seen so far, was in the Renner factory, where there are
twp ways :
Using a circel saw, or a very heavy, very shrap handheld blade.
Would it be possible to send a picture/drawing of your jig to the list?

Friendly greetings,

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Hi Charles,
                Reduction of hammer mass can be accomplished more
efficiently by removing felt and wood. I have  a jig that I use on a table
saw that makes a tapered cut on both sides of the hammer. By starting the
cut about 1/4" from behind the strike point the felt removal will drop the
hammer mass dramatically.  the table saw approach also gives more
consistency from hammer to hammer. Removing shank mass in the upper treble
is a technique for altering tone quality as opposed to touch correction.
Reducing shank mass in the bass can lead to problems, re shank strength vs
the weight of the hammer.
  It is very easy to remove up to 2 grams on #1 bass hammer with this
method, which translates to 10 grams DW on the average piano. If you are
working with mahogany moldings the amount of touch weight correction by jus=
tapering or coving the tails is very limited.  The amount of touch weight
correction from the shanks, (length X mass) is quite limited.
  I reserve shank reduction for voicing corrections, it is very usfull to
get rid of the "woody thunk" that is some times encountered, hard to
describe on paper. Thinning the shank can increase the whip lash effect of
the shank, and help reduce the dwell time, creating a clearer more focused
tone quality.
  Some food for thought, How much felt mass vs molding in the centre and
bass section of the keyboard?
Regards Roger