Van

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 31 May 1998 17:40:16 EDT

<<  After 5 years
 it would have been fully depreciated, and of no further tax use, while the
 mileage allowance will just go up every year, indefinitely (and I put a lot
 of miles on it.) This way, I won't have to document every little upkeep
 expense, too.

 Anyone else doing it this way? Any tax hints? >>

Susan,

I've been using the standard mileage allowance on my '89 Chevrolet Caprice
since it was new.  My business is incorporated but the car is personal
property.

An additional benefit to the older vehicle is that South Carolina counties
charge a property tax on cars but offer to discount it for high mileage
vehicles, so that really drops on my '89 with 276,000 miles.

I decided to go the rebuilding route because the car, rather than burning oil
and being troublesome, was NOT using oil and had let me down very few times.
Partly to improve performance and partly to preclude the inconvenience of a
broken timing chain, 6 months ago I decided to have engine and transmission
rebuilt and see if it would go another 100,000.  For the last 20,000 it has
been the right choice.

Most of my supplies are organized and completely hidden in the spacious trunk.
I prefer to have them out of sight in an area where they would not fly forward
and hit me in an accident, and that's why I drive a sedan with a trunk.  Newer
models appear to be less spacious or not as well arranged.

Bill Maxim