pitch lowering and rasing - tools and techniques

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 31 May 1998 08:21:13 -0400

To insert a temperament strip, I bought a tool for that purpose - a
burn-in knife (also doubles as an occassional glue applicator).

Why don't the supply houses scrap the FELT strips and give us tapered
CLOTH in long and short lengths and two thicknesses?  A strip that works
in the middle of a grand is too thick for many treble sections.
Combining the wrong thickness cloth and a thick screwdriver blade could
change your string spacing.

I don't remember seeing this pitch altering technique in this
discussion.  For large changes, us no mutes, no strip.  Tune one string
while ignoring the other two.  It takes some practice and a little
courage the first few times.  I use each of the four tones on an
Accu-fork to tune unisons, octaves, fourths, and fifths.

Carl