CA pinblock tightening

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 29 May 1998 08:17:34 -0600

Hi Tim.

Inspect the piano and look at the bridges--if they have hairline cracks
take along some thick CA glue and apply it to stop the cracks from becoming
worse.

Use super thin (runs like water). Get it from a hobby shop in an 8 oz.
bottle. Tip piano on back. Apply CA glue (lots). Leave piano on it's back
for one week. Tip piano up. Begin to tune. If you find an *exceptionally*
tight pin use a tuning pin punch and hammer to drive the pin and break the
glue joint. CA glue *can* make the pin so tight it will shear off (blush).
This may be more important if the piano has been previously doped, if the
piano has #1 pins, or if the pins are a bit rusty.

Some people recommend driving right after application. I prefer not to and
have had good results--this also leaves room for the breaking of the glue
bond. Best of Luck!

At 06:21 PM 5/28/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, I just looked at a piano today that I think is the perfect
>candidate.  1914 LeSage upright.  There's no money for a good piano, and
>the present one has generally loose pins with a few that will turn under
>the weight of the tuning hammer.  I haven't done the procedure before,
>and I would appreciate any advice from those who have done such repairs
>successfully.  I would particularly appreciate realistic time estimates
>and any helpful tips on technique, or favo(u)rite brands/viscosities
>(especially on brands available in Canada).
>
>If you feel the list has seen all it needs of the topic, please post
>privately.  All advice gratefully accepted.
>
>Thanx
>
>Tim Keenan
>Terrace, BC

Regards,