pitch lowering/strip mutes

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 29 May 1998 09:18:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/98 7:05:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu writes:

<<  I timed it and it
 took me exactly 23 seconds to strip mute the mid-section and bass of a
 P22. This likely isn't my fastest time either as I fumbled alittle with
 the screw driver and only timed it once. I remember when my Dad was
 teaching a tuning class and put his mute real quick,  A girl leaned over
 to another classmate and said "huh!!, a half hour right there!"
 -Mike Jorgensen

I've seen others do muteless pitch changes.  I know someone who can do it by
ear.  Frankly, it would bother me quite a bit.  Since I've used strip mutes in
all but the finest unison tuning since I learned how from Jim Coleman 19 years
ago, I don't consider that the time it takes to totally mute a piano worthy of
consideration.  I haven't actually timed it but it surely takes me less than a
minute in most cases.

As with any technique, one gets quicker the more one does it.  It was slow and
difficult for me at first but after finding the right material (action wippen
cushion cloth) and having it cut to the right legnth and tapered a certain
way, I learned to put in a strip mute very quickly and effortlessly.  (The
felt strip mutes that are sold by supply houses are not suitable for their
intended purpose, in my opinion.)   I would not want to tune without one,
either aurally or electronically.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin