,,,,,jeeeeeeeesh.  To much room for error in e-mail. Was enough IPTs.

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Sun, 24 May 1998 22:07:20 +0200

Tom, Susan, Jim, Carl and others,
I really stirred up something by using the word TINKERER.
Now I realise that maybe I didn't use the right word.
What I tried to say was the English translation of the Dutch word KNOEIER or
BEUNHAAS (bungler,cowboy,moonlighter according to my dictionary).( Any
bungler,cowboy or moonlighter who is offended can E-mail me privately.)
I was thinking about the times when I was confronted repairs done by people
who did not know their own limitations, to phrase it politely.
I can give many examples of that, but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

The way Susan describes a tinkerer brings me to the conclusion that I am one
myself.
I invent and make new tools just for the fun of it. "World Class Junk" is
the first thing I read when I get the Journal and am still waiting for the
May issue.
I often use very unconventional methods to get results. But only when the
conventional way is impossible, to expensive or to much time consuming. I
use CA glue to tighten tuning pins and believe it is the best thing to do if
replacing the pinblock is no option.
I believe that if you only do it by the book , you will leave a lot of
customers in the cold.
Tom if you want to be independent that is o.k. and don't be ashamed of it.
Cyriel if you return to Holland I hope you will join the VvPN. There is a
lot to learn in that organisation and by what I know about you, you can
learn them a lot.

Michiel van Loon
mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Homepage http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvanloon