Correctly measuring FAC notes for AccuTuners.

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 23 May 1998 11:51:58 -0700 (MST)

Hi Rogerio:

Now I can reply about the C6 measurment of the FAC series. Quite often I
have been puzzled when trying to measure C6. I would then discover that I
had inadvertently touched the MEM button before tuning C6 at its
fundamental.
Then noticing that, I would touch the TUNE button and the UP octave button,
going to C7 and I would notice that there was very little difference in
pitch. This didn't make any sense to me, because I expect to get a reading
from 5.0 to 8.0 cents for this note. After puzzling over this I would go
back to the C6 setting and retune to 0.0 in TUNE mode, then change to octave
7 and find that the LEDs were indeed moving clockwise like they were
supposed to do.

Now that I have everyone's attention, I would like to lay out a method
whereby you can measure the FAC notes more accurately and within 1 minute
of time. This works best when the piano is close to pitch. If not, you are
going to do a pitch raise first which can use most any tuning in memory.
Right?

With SAT turned on, touch TUNE Button. Hit UP Oct button to get to
Octave 5. Play F3, hold down MSR button till LED rotation almost stops.
Use UP/DN buttons to stop 4 lights momentarily. Hold down SHIFT and touch
MSR (RST) button so that right window shows 0.0. Hit UP OCT. button once
showing F6 in left window. Pluck string midway between hammer strike-point
and Agraffe or V-Bar. Hold down MSR button to almost stop LEDs. Pluck and
trim UP/DN buttons to stop LEDs. Hold down SHIFT button and touch
STO-STRETCH. button. Machine will change to A5 if everything was done right.
Play A4, hold down MSR button until LEDs are almost stopped, completely
stop LEDs (with 4 LEDs lit) with UP/DN buttons. Hold down SHIFT button
and touch MSR (RST) button (this zeroes in the 2nd partial of A4). Hit UP
OCTave button to 6. Play A4, hold down MSR button to almost stop the LEDs.
Use UP/DN buttons to stop 4 lights momentarily (the right display will
show the difference between the 2nd partial and 4th partial of A4). Store
this by holding down the SHIFT button and touching the STO-STRetch button.
When done correctly the machine will advance to C6. Play C6, stop the LEDs
with the MSR and UP/DN cents buttons (preferably stopping 4 lights). Hit
the UP OCTave button to show C7 in left window. Play C6 repeatedly (often)
while holding down the MSR button and/or the UP/DN buttons to stop 4 LEDs
(this shows the difference between the fundamental of C6 and its 2nd
partial). Hold down the SHIFT button and touch the STO-STRetch button.

At this point, you may review the three stretch numbers by first holding
down the STRETCH button to see the value for F3. Write this number down on
your service records. After releasing the button, hold down again to see the
stretch value of A4. Write it down. Release and hold down a third time to
see the stretch value of C6.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP. Recalibrate machine by holding down both SHIFT and TUNE
buttons at the same time and then release. When LEDs are stopped, hit TUNE
button.

Next select a page of memory by holding down the SHIFT button while using
UP/DN cents buttons to locate a page of memory you wish to use (mostly I
use page 1, or 2 as temporary pages where I do not wish to keep a permanent
record of this particular piano). Let's assume you chose page 10. With page
10 showing in the right window, hold down the STRETCH button, hold down the
MEM button, release the STRETCH button, release the MEM button. In about 7
or 8 seconds time the entire tuning for that piano will be recorded (the new
SAT III does it in 5 seconds).

Watch for the July '98 PTG Journal for a description of the SAT III. I have
the prototype in my possession now. Regular production is scheduled soon.
Patience, it's worth waiting for.

Jim Coleman, Sr.