to master-innovation- or not

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 22 May 1998 14:04:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/98 8:40:52 AM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@aol.com
writes:

<< It seems rather odd to me for The "traditional ways" to be championed while
 decrying the occasional innovative technique being innovatively  used.  It
 makes it even more odd that the "traditional" 'internet', with the
traditional
 'computer', the traditional 'e.mail' program, and the traditional 'server' is
 used for the decrying. Why not use the innovative postal mail or the
 innovative telegram or even that scourge on the world, the innovative
printing
 press to get the massage out?

   I suppose it all comes down to the eye of the beholder huh? >>

Interesting reply, Jim.  I also agree with the points Susan made.  While I
understand Cyrillis' attitude and position, if everyone stood the same ground,
large numbers of pianos would go unserviced and the only piano service
industry there could be would be too small to sustain itself.

I made it clear that such techniques as CA glue on tuning pins is not the
usual approach but that there is a time and place for it. Same goes for a
softener for hard hammers, lubricants and/or shrinking solutions, epoxy or CA
glue for spot repairs, etc.  The true professional knows when and where to use
these techniques as well as when they are not appropriate.

While I agree that anyone who tunes pianos must have aural tuning abilities to
be truly professional, (that is the way the PTG Exam is currently set up), I
disagree completely that ETD's are used only by underskilled practitioners.
When I go to the bank and cash all my checks, I use a calculator to add the
figures.  That does not mean I don't know how to add them or that I wouldn't
know the difference if I had made an error.  The reason for the use of such a
tool is obvious:  speed, consistency and accuracy.  It permits a person to do
more than could otherwise be humanly expected.

    These kinds of tools and techniques are necessary in today's society.  We
could not make a living without them.

   I have heard these kind of hard line positions before.  The "I only rebuild
Steinways" crowd.  Great for them.  But not everyone has that priviledge nor
even wants it.  I'll bet that even though Cyrillis wants only "old fashioned"
practices, he will only tune in ET.  ET is the "new tuning", the one that
supposedly does what all the others fail to do.  That's the "modern" approach,
not the good old fashioned way.  If he really wants to be consistent in his
philosophy, the practice of using mostly HT's would be more appropriate.

People like Cyrillis need to join PTG, take and pass the Exams and work on the
category that has often been discussed that really goes beyond that of being a
piano technician.  Something that involves standards for rebuilding.  To have
exams that prove one's ability to craft and install a soundboard, to install a
pinblock, to restring an entire piano, to set up an entire new action would go
far beyond those Exams that we have now.

Anyone that could do all of that does deserve to have a distinct title that
can only be used if earned.  To sit back and criticize tha majority of RPT's
saying you won't stoop to their level and call yourself "independant" won't
create any changes beyond what a single person is able to do.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin