Poll: was Re: Master Piano Tuner

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 18:39:00 -0500

I started out on accordion at age 7 at the Ybor City Boys Club in Tampa, Fl, where it was discovered I had (oh
no!!) perfect pitch. I switched to piano at 10 and had my first tuning experience at age 13 where I proceeded to
"tune" my old upright and after about a week of this we called in a real tooner. That is what sparked my interest
in learning how to tune. Later I bought the book "Piano Tuning" by J. Cree Fischer and proceeded to study it but
was not happy with the method taught (tuning by circle of fifths) so I called a local tuner I had met at the local
Yamaha dealer at the time and paid him to come out and just tune the temperament and explain what he was listening
to. He used the John Travis method "up 2 3ds and down a 5th". Then he de-tuned what he had done and let me try. I
heard clearly now the beat speeds and he encouraged me greatly, and from that point on I had no trouble honing this
skill.
     After practicing on my piano for about 3 months (I had a Hardman Peck baby grand at this time) I applied for a
job at a dealership who sold Yamaha, Steinway, Samick and Kimball's. I tuned many pianos and worked there for about
a year and a half. Then I worked at a shop run by this same company for about another 8 years where they rebuilt or
reconditioned used pianos in every conceivable condition. I worked with another tuner who had been in the business
many years and I learned a lot of shop/rebuilding skills and we worked on everything from run-of -the-mill junk to
Steinways, Chickerings, Mason & Hamlins and every once in a while we would get a Broadwood or Collard & Collard. I
really enjoyed these because it was a challenge to make theses instruments play again. I have been an independent
technician since about 1985.

All the while while I was tuning pianos I was studying classical piano and did almost all of the competitions that
we aspiring concert pianists must. I also studied oboe for 5 years and was even making my own reeds. I even took
violin for a few short months, just enough to learn how to play a couple fiddle tunes in the band I was also
playing in at this time. I have been a professional musician since 1977, have played in all kinds of bands and am
currently the "House Band" at the Sandestin Beach Hilton Resort in Destin, Fl where I have been performing  for the
last 2 years while tuning pianos during the day. I have a lovely wife of 14 years and a beautiful 10 year old
daughter. And Rex, our Devon-rex cat.

Regards,
Greg Torres