Steinway damper "thump"

NBWW NBWW@aol.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 13:46:18 EDT

Ron and List

I had a S&S B with string noisey dampers and a noticable thump at pedal
release. Thge strings were rusty only under the dampers. Cleaning the strings
and dampers solved that problem. To reduce the thump, I regulated the damper
lift so that the bass dampers lead the treble slightly (1/8 inch for the
length of the damper tray). This "tapered" lift was asked for by a teacher who
owns two Bosendorfers. He works at the college level and is a marvelous
musical technician. He preferred the treble being damped ahead of the bass to
allow some bass to sustain through treble passages. I don't understand that
level of piano playing but he liked it and so did the B owner and others that
I've done that way. It does help diminish the thump.