pianotech-digest V1997 #823

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Thu, 21 May 1998 02:33:24 -0500

With the recent discussion about the PTG, RPT, MPT and taking exams, I
was wondering if other keyboard professionals have a guild and exams to
take in order to be qualified to practice in their field.  I am
referring to pipe organ technicians, electronic organ technicians, reed
organ technicians and accordion repairmen.  If an RPT had one of these
guys in their  home for repairs, what kind of "proof" would you ask of
them before you allowed them to work on say your organ or accordion?

And what about piano teachers?  Most of the ones I know do not have any
degrees or diplomas whatsoever, yet they still teach piano.  Should all
piano teachers strive to get a BA in music before they are permitted to
teach private lessons and take the public's money?

Wondering minds want to know.........