High-speed movie

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Wed, 20 May 1998 23:14:54 -0400

On Mon, 18 May,  musselj@cadvision.com wrote:
>Back in March of '95 (Has it really been three years?) Bill Ballard posted
>the following message. Does anyone know if anything came of this project?
>Thanks for any info.

>The NH Chapter's dream has come true. You may remember discussion of
>exploration to inner workings of deep and fast repetition using high-speed
>videography. The NH Chapter will get to film an afternoon's worth of the
>stuff on a machine capable of 2000 frames/sec. (Figure a maximum relevant
>rate of 15 reps/sec, and chopping each of these into 20 frames, we're only
>using 15% of the hardware's frame speed capablilty.)

No, the resulting project didn't end up on someone's shelf only to be
pulled out for late night cigar and bourbon parties at the NH Chapter. We
never followed through.

One of the chapter's associate members (who is also a software publisher)
was a student assistant to the man at MIT who developed this equipment, now
retired from teaching and currently doing industrial consulting with this.
Our associate has a contuing relationship with his old prof, so this may
well yet happen. The action would have been stripped of most parts for
in-the-piano viewpoint. He wanted to incorporate a strain guage. I was
going to wire the action parts with contatcs to be closed between the jack
tender and LO button, the key and front rail punching, the jack spoon and
jack button felt, and the backcheck and hammer tail, to see just what parts
contacted during dee, fast repetition. My next step would have been to
inquire about frame numbers or clock times, protractors,and other rulers
which could be superimposed on the images.

The last he and I talked about it (and we both regularly attend the NH
chapter) was at our 8/97 meeting. I had a fantasy we could complete the
project in time for the R.I. National, but it seemed not high on his
to-do-list. It may still happen. Especially if we all corner him in the
parking lot in Providence! <g>

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"Tomorrow is going to be a 'Say Something' Hat Day. "
	Patrick Swazey in "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything....."