Master Piano Tuner

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 10:23:53 EDT

Dave:

What was voted down was to have all those who are RPT (RTT) take the new
tuning and technical exams. The reason for that was a time element. With about
2500 RTT at that time, and with each exam taking 4 hours, and needing 3 other
technicains, it was deemed an almost impossible task.

However, the reason we created the new technical and tunign exams is because
the PTG recongnized the old exams were bad. Since the passage of the new
exams, all members who want to become an RPT have to pass the new exams. It
will take some time, about 50 years), but eventlally all RPT will have taken
the new exams.

Willem Blees

<< Now it seems to me that anyone who is able to pass an exam in this way
without
 ever laying hands on a piano has no right to pass themselves off as qualified
 to competently work on pianos, and a customer has no way of knowing who has
 passed the more stringent tests. Now, I admit that I have not kept track of
 guild polocies since then. Have all RPTs taken and passed the most recent
test
 procedures? If not, doesn't this state of affairs greatly dilute the RPT
 status?

 If I remember correctly, when the "new testing" proposal was voted down, the
 reason given was that if these "old testing" techs had been in business all
 this time, then we could safely assume that their skills were up to speed. In
 other words, the same philosophy that is used by the Master Piano Technicians
 of America.

 Dave Bunch