click!

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 19 May 1998 23:12:53 EDT

>Hi all,
>
>I have a problem with a new console piano. A few of the hammer return
>springs are clicking. 2 in particular are very bad. I tried weakening the
>spring on one and that made it worse. I tried pencil lead on the hammer
>butt on the other with no improvement.
>
>Suggestions?
>Regards, Don

Don.

This wouldn't be a new Baldwin Console, would it?

I had a similar problem. I discovered that there was a very small groove in
the hammer return spring groove on the butt. Because the hammer return grove
is coated with a hard teflon like material, (instead of wool, like the older
hammer butts), when the hammer moved towards the string, the spring would move
out of the small groove, and when it returned, the spring clicked back in
place. You have to look very carefully for this. Use a small file to eliminate
the small groove, and your problem should be solved.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis.