click!

Gilreath Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 19 May 1998 22:51:46 EDT

<< Hi All,

 A clarification may be in order. The click ceases if I move it off the
 hammer butt. I can visually see the spring going *sproing* when I hear the
 click. The click happens when I mearly lift the hammer to the string
 slowly. There are a total of six and 2 are loud enough to hear when the
 case is closed and music is being played.

Don,

Many good points to check have been posted on this thread.  However, one that
I haven't noticed being mentioned is raised grain in the hammer butt spring
slot.  I have found this to be the culprit in several new instruments of
varying brands.  To fix, either burnish the slot or smooth it with a small
riffler file and re-dag (is that a word?) the slot.

I'm sure that the answer will show up out of one of these ideas.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co
Calhoun, GA USA