click!

Tue, 19 May 1998 19:29:30 -0700

Don,

I'm going to guess here...  Is this one of those actions that did not use felt punchings
in the spring groove? If the felt punchings are not present, then it is probably coated
with an Emralon fluorocarbon lubricant that was sprayed and baked directly on the wood
surface. This would have worked just fine except that the machining was rather crude on
most of those actions. So, when the butt rotates through its axis the spring actually
slips around on the lubricated, but very rough, surface causing an assortment of clicks,
ticks & cricks.

If this is the case you have at least two possible solutions. First, you can simply take a
hard pencil and work it up and down -- hard -- in the machined "slot" actually making
groove for the spring to seat in. Second, and probably the best solution, you can scrape
out the Emralon lubricant and glue in a standard felt punching.

Regards,

Del