click!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 19 May 1998 19:23:48

Hi Don,
        I am assuming you are refering to a 40" compressed action, very
common problem.  Two fixes, 1. remove the butt spring rail and spread the
coils, the click is invariably caused by the piece that goes to the butt
clicking against the coil. You can quiet this type of action a great deal
by carefully threading a strip of flange bushing cloth through each of the
coils. I think that 3 strips will do the whole action. Whilst the rail is
out also check to ensure that the coil itself is not bumping on the rail.
Due to the shortness of the springs a greater amount of movement takes
place at the coil, so ensure there is lots of clearance.  If the coils are
not parallel with the rail this will also give the same symptom. These
small action tend to give squeaks from this same scource.

hope this helps.
Roger

At 10:56 AM 5/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a problem with a new console piano. A few of the hammer return
>springs are clicking. 2 in particular are very bad. I tried weakening the
>spring on one and that made it worse. I tried pencil lead on the hammer
>butt on the other with no improvement.
>
>Suggestions?
>Regards, Don

Roger Jolly