S & S *B*..

tech@steinway.com tech@steinway.com
Tue, 19 May 1998 16:51:20 -0400

Dear Phil:

It's as easy as A,B,C,D !  In 1878, when we patented the continuous-bent
rim, we changed the designation on our grands from numbers (Style I, II,
III ...) to letters (the four mentioned above).  While the A was the first
bent-rim model put into production, the model B owes more to the Style I,
a.k.a. Monitor Grand, a.k.a. Parlor Grand, whose scale was originally
developed by C.F. Theodore Steinway in 1869.

Mr. Blees is correct that the A-R designation indicates an Aeolian Player
model.  Our official measurement of this model is 6'11 1/4".

If you, or anyone else, would like the history of a particular instrument,
including production date and original shipping destination, please send an
e-mail to "info@steinway.com".  Make sure you include the piano's serial
number and your own address.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen K. Dove