Master Piano Tuner

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 19 May 1998 10:16:59 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/98 7:32:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Hi List,
 I missed out one key word on my initial message, the ad read 'Certified
 Master Piano Tuner'.  I was wondering what entitled someone to use this
 in advertising.
 Sorry for not having the key word in the initial submission.
 Regards.
 John M. Ross
 Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada >>

There is a lot on the List recently I have not even had time to read yet, let
alone respond to but this caught my eye.  I had some experince with this
problem several years ago.  Your laws in Canada may vary with those in the US
but assuming that those which apply to this question are the same or similar,
the answer, speaking plainly and frankly to, "I was wondering what entitled
someone to use this in advertising." is, there is no requirement or
restriction one way or the other.

In short, anyone can call themself anything they want as long as their is no
government license to practice required.  You can't call yourself a physician,
a lawyer or even a beautician because those occupations require a license.
"Piano Tuner" or "Piano Technician" is something virtually anyone can call
themself regardless of skill, education or background.  The law views it no
differently than "Window Washer".

While you might laugh at an ad by someone who claims to be a "Certified Master
Window
Washer", you might also find no cause to object.  It would be seen simply as
an advertising gimmick.  The title, "Registered Piano Technician" however is a
Registered Trademark and may only lawfully be used by those who have the legal
right to use it.  In the PTG organization, that right is earned by passing the
RPT Exams.  This is very much like demonstrating competence for a government
license to practice a trade which requires a license.  Legally however, it is
not viewed the same way.

Therefore, while the individual in question does not have the right to use the
title, "Registered Piano Technician"  (if it were used, it would be trademark
infringement, not practicing without a license), that person can call
him/herself virtually anything else.  The use of the terms, "Certified" and
"Master" are the most common ways in which people who do not have the right to
use the title "RPT" try to distinguish themselves before the public with an
advertising gimmick.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin