Need info on a Schimmel Grand

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 17 May 1998 11:50:00

Hi Gordon,
          Your customer should only consider replacement cost insurance,
this usually requires a special rider on the policy. Stated by Make, Model,
and Ser#.
 In the event of a total loss claim, they will get a new piano with very
little hassel, the cost per $1000.00 for this type of coverage is very
reasonable. The full retail price is what should be listed on the policy.
This piano is probabily one, if not the most valuable item in your clients
household possessions, and should be treated as such on the policy. My
insurance agent ask for a letter from the dealer, every three years to
cover the inflation factors, along with an adjustment to the premium. Most
people are under insured when it comes to a complete loss situation, taking
photographs of your most valued items and placing them in your safety
deposit box is also wise. P.S. I do ajustment work for several insurance
companies.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 12:34 PM 5/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I have a customer with a 1958 6'2" Schimmel Grand  (s/n 42387).   He has
asked
>me to provide an appraisal for insurance purposes.  (This is the only
Schimmel
>I have seen.)  I called Schimmel about 10 days ago and left a request for
some
>info, but have heard nothing.  <strike one>
>
>I found a Schimmel Web Page, but it's all in German.  (My 14 year old
daughter
>tried to translate it for me, but all she kept saying was,"Oh,...I should
know
>that word..........Oh,...we use that word in class all the time)    And I did
>not find any links to other information, <strike two>  although they say
there
>will be an English version of the page sometime this summer
>
>Now I'm looking for help here.  The piano has been well maintained, and it
has
>been covered all of it's life.   And the finish looks very much like
>polyester.  (could it be?  Pierce dates it as 1958)  The dampers have a
>plastic shell over them for some reason.
>
>The case is also wider in the tail section then any other grand I've seen.
 At
>one point I was going to order a new cover for the piano, and the pattern was
>unlike anything Instrument Covers had seen.
>
>So, anyone got an idea on what a 40 year old Schimmel might be worth, or can
>anyone give me an idea what a new Schimmel Grand (6'2") might go for?  I can
>figure the depreciation.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Gordon Large, RPT

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.