pianotech-digest V1997 #789

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 15 May 1998 23:08:16 -0500 (CDT)

>If it is the top 4 or 5 hammers, you can use buckskin.  File down the hammers
>almost to the core, glue one side, let dry, then stretch over to the others,
>glue and then clamp tight.  You can do some reshaping of the buckskin, but the
>most effect is that you get restore some of the tone and save the customers
>money until he or she can afford to have a new set of hammers installed.
>
>Dave Peake, RPT
>Portland, OR

I have done an entire treble section with buckskin on an upright piano.

Supertone(d) the buckskins, then filed, fitted, & voiced to blend with the
rest of the piano.  Turned out just great.  That's one customer that won't
have any reason to buy new hammers.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician