S&S damper lift tray "clunk"

Fri, 15 May 1998 11:42:04 -0500

Esteemed list,

>   You might try removing the coil spring from above the damper lifter
>tray. Sometimes that spring and the trapwork spring together are a
>little overkill. Also there should be nice soft pieces of flat damper
>felt on the top of each of the dag blocks, that helps to quiet the tray
>returning.
>>
>> I recently was called to tune a 10 year old Steinway "L". Although the
>> piano is in excellent shape otherwise, it does have a very loud "thump" at
>> the end of the pedal release.

While we're talking about damper/underlever lift trays...

I service a 1957 S&S B  which, while fine when releasing, clunks when
_pressed_ hard. The customer hasn't complained... yet..., but I bothers me.

The problem is that the bass lift tray pivot pin has apparently made an oval
hole in the hinge block.  I did check the mounting screws, and they _are_ tight.

Not wanting to completely do a damper regulation (I know, L-a-zed-y!), am I
inviting disaster if I just move the tray to the right [with dampers lifted]
far enough to remove the block?  As I recall, it is simply an unbushed hole
and may respond to sizing.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us; to see oursel's as others see us!
It wad some monie a blunder free us, and foolish notion.
- Robert Burns