setting let-off

A440A A440A@aol.com
Fri, 15 May 1998 12:04:05 EDT

I wrote:
>>     You want to be able to make the note slightly stutter on the softest
note
>>you can play and then, turn the let-off button down until the stutter
>>disappears.

Avery asks:
>   Would this method be anything similar to "ghosting"? Or is that just a
>method to get the let-off very close and then refine it further by
>sight/feel?

   Bill Garlick sets let-off by taking the hammer to let-off, and then rather
quickly, pushing through.  He lowers it until the hammer will not hit the
string from a quick note.
   I have better success getting what I want by touch, and the easist way to
get the feel for it is to start from blocking, and gradually turn the button
down,  all the while playing as softly as possible.  There is a certain point
reached where, on an extemely soft blow,  you can still feel the hammer touch
the string before or simultaneously with release.  The optimum distance for
let-off is just beyond this,
and it is difficult to achieve a consistant placement here by anything other
than feel.
Regards,
Ed Foote